Thursday, March 29, 2012

A LEAP OF FAITH: TAKING ON THE ROLE OF ANGEL

Official RENT Blog contributor Brandon Nichols revealed in his introductory post that he was the first person in Arkansas to originate the role of Angel in the state's first non-professional production of RENT.  Brandon is back to tell us more about that experience! 

It was 2009 at a little theatre in downtown Little Rock, Arkansas. A theatre I had never been to, a theatre I knew nothing about. However, I knew they were producing RENT for their summer musical and that’s all I needed to know. I didn’t care what part I got, and I didn’t care if I had to work behind the scenes. I just needed to be a part of that show by any means necessary.

I was able to secure an audition and went through the whole process. Then came the wait! I was at my computer at home when the phone rang. I answered it, and I was told I was told that I had been cast as Angel in RENT! I’m pretty sure I hurt the other person’s ear because I was screaming at the top of my lungs… out of excitement, of course! As I began to rehearse the role, I found my greatest challenge would be learning to walk in heels. As someone who had never done it before, I found it incredibly hard to learn. Additionally, learning how to drum on a bucket was also difficult for me. Luckily, the singing and dancing ended up coming easy to me. I felt that I could really work it!

The experience I had when I was in that show was an experience I would never take back for anything. We did end up having our fair share of “theatre drama,” which got so out of control that we ended up cancelling a show because of all of the trouble backstage. Even though I was not a part of the drama, I’m so glad we were eventually able to come together to resume performances. Overcoming that gave a whole new meaning to the songs “Will I?” and “Goodbye Love.”

On a brighter note, I made so many amazing friends performing in RENT. It was so much fun! I was the “baby” in the show, being only 17 at the time. My fellow cast members really took me under their wing. Since I was playing a drag queen for the first time, I was so fortunate to have all those amazing women in the cast to help me with the makeup, heels, etc. I gained so much more respect for women and drag queens as a whole because I truly could not have done it by myself. It’s a lot of work!

The audience reaction to our show was outstanding. We were only supposed to run 3 weekends, but we sold out before we opened and had to add an extra four performances. I will never forget the crowds and their support. I also remember one night when a reporter for a local paper came to see the show. We were so nervous, because one little mess-up would go down for everyone to see.

The paper came out soon thereafter, but I wasn’t able to pick up a copy right away. I went online to check my Facebook and everyone was saying “Congrats on the review!” I thought, “What review?” So I went to pick up a Sync Weekly (the local paper), turned to the reviews section and read on. I found the review of our show, and found saw my name mentioned! See below:

“In the realm of showstoppers there’s no touching young Brandon Nichols as Angel. How he moves in those heels, we’ll never know. Purists may wonder at casting a white actor in this role, but rest assured in works well thanks to the fine talents of Nichols”
-Spencer Watson (Sync Weekly)

All in all, I wouldn’t take back that experience for anything. The support I received from my fellow cast and crew, and the Little Rock community was truly outstanding. I’d do it again in a heartbeat!

Brandon

www.siteforrent.com

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this! I am very excited about people reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's amazing! and walking in heels really is no easy feat.

    ReplyDelete