Thursday, November 17, 2011

FROM OUR OFFICIAL RENT BLOGGER: WHY DO YOU LOVE RENT?

During the summer of 2010, I was lucky enough to be cast as Roger in a production of RENT. Unbeknownst to me, I was about to embark on a journey that would solidify my love for RENT, and its ability to create beautiful friendships and relationships with its amazing message. It turned out to be one of the best summers of my life.

I've always liked RENT, but that magical summer was what did me in. The power of being in the show itself is like nothing I've ever experienced. I developed some amazing friendships with the cast and crew, and even met my current girlfriend – a fellow cast member. I cried like a baby when we closed. Before that I had NEVER cried closing a show, nor have I done since.

Since then, I've been trying to recapture the electricity I experienced during that production. ("How could a night so frozen be so scalding hot?") I recently suggested we throw a fundraiser where we would perform a concert version of the show. Our cast would reunite for a few nights to raise money for our community theater.

After sharing my ideas with the cast, a former member told me that she thought I was obsessing over RENT. She called me crazy for loving RENT as much as I did, and for trying to relive the magic of the original production we had created together.

At first I felt embarrassed. Maybe I was taking this RENT thing a bit too far. It's JUST a show, right?

In thinking some more, I've realized no, it's not just a show. RENT is a medium. It's a medium through which connections, relationships, and memories can be made. I love it more than just its story or its songs – I love RENT for its overarching message of love, friendship and acceptance, and for its ability to evoke such strong emotions, in both its performers and audience members alike.

For me, it's like a photo album that rekindles old feelings. Some of my fondest memories are associated with RENT, and the life-changing experience I had performing it.

Everyone is passionate about the good memories in their life. I'm curious to hear about the memories you associate with RENT. Why do you think you love this show? Is it greater than the sum of its parts? Sound off in the comments section.

Oh, and in case you wanted to know what I looked like as Roger, here are a few pictures…





No comments:

Post a Comment