Monday, July 25, 2011

A WORD FROM YOUR OFFICIAL RENT BLOGGER

In short, I'm an acting, singing, guitar playing, theater guy, who has green eyes, straight teeth, and bites his finger-nails. I discovered RENT in January of 2005. I was given tickets to a touring cast for Christmas by my dad's then-girlfriend's mom. (Get all of that?) I went into the theater not knowing anything about the show or the music. I was going to be a blank canvas for RENT to make an impression on.

I sat quietly in my seat as the play unfolded before me. After the last note rang out, and the house lights came up I stood with the rest of the audience for the standing ovation, but, I had made my decision... I didn't like it.

You're probably thinking, "WHAT!? -- How can this CLOWN be MY official RENT Blogger?"

Well, I'll tell you. It just so happens that during intermission I was still undecided about the show, so, using some leftover Christmas cash, I bought the cast recording.

I listened to that 2-CD set (that I'm sure you probably own) occasionally, but I never really heard it, or listened to its message. I never really gave RENT my full attention until my great grandmother died 2 months later.

"Great Nana" was a wonderfully kind and loving woman. (One of those "living saint" types.) We were very close, and her sudden death took a huge toll on me. She was the first person to die that I was very close to, and it was her death that opened my eyes and ears to RENT's message.

The songs took on a whole new life and meaning. "Measure your life in love." "No Day But Today." "Forget Regret." Every word resounded within me now, and Jonathan Larson's music elevated my spirits and helped me through one of the hardest times of my life. I've been a RENThead ever since.

I'm not a RENThead because of the number of times I've seen the show. (My count is at four: two touring casts, and twice in NYC.)

I'm not a RENThead because I own the movie, or any other amount of merchandise. (A keychain, a button, and a T-shirt.)

I'm not even a RENThead because I know all the lyrics to the songs.

I'm a RENThead, because like you, RENT has touched me in a very special way. I believe in RENT's fundamental message, and it makes me a better person. That's why, if you're reading this, you're a RENThead too.

Welcome to our brand new site for this exciting new production of RENT in New York City. I'm so happy to be your Official Blogger, and I can't wait to share my love of RENT with you. (And vice versa)

No Day But Today,
Paul

5 comments:

  1. I'll be honest... I was upset that I wasn't picked as the official RENT blogger, but after reading this I fully support you!

    Looking forward to all your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, didn't like Rent at first. My little sister played "La Vie Boheme" for me and I was totally turned off by it. It was just weird! And then one day the movie was playing on my HBO and I watched it... and loved it... so several months later, the tour came around and I went and haven't been the same since! I love it because, just like you said, the message in the show is incredible.

    I just got back from NYC where I saw the show on Tuesday night for my 5th time. And I loved it just as much as I always do!

    I even got my picture taken at the corner of 11th Street and Avenue B. :)

    So glad to know there is an official RENT blogger now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean about how RENT became your mantra during hard times-when my grandma died in 03, it helped a lot, and we all listened to Seasons of Love in the ICU waiting room with some of my family while "waiting"..then when my Mom passed away in 09, we played the Original Cast recording version at her funeral. Although i found RENT thru a CASSETTE COPY someone at local outdoor theater made me back in 99, and loved it immediately, it was my mother who first turned me on to any theater, and took me to see the touring cast when they came to town here in 01. As such, it seemed appropriate. About 6 months later, some good friends of mine got the chance to perform it locally for the first time-and nailed it! ALL my friends went with me to see it, and most had been at the funeral and looked with me in concern as Seasons of Love started up...guess they worried i'd lose it. But i didnt cry..well no more than usual at rent anyway..it made me really happy actually, to know that so many people loved something that my mother and I shared. So yea, I totally relate to where your coming from..sometimes, you have to go thru certain things in life before you come to appreciate other things. Sorry for the loss of your Grandma-but you are a terrific blogger! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Paul!

    I am literally reading you first post from my hospital bed where I am battling Multiple Myeloma (bone marrow cancer) with a Stem Cell Transplant... yeah, sound like fun, huh?

    But I just had to say that I think you nailed it. It is the reason why we just can't get enough of it. It moves us and inspires us and reminds us that life is precious and we shouldn't waist one minute of it. It's all about the perspective.

    I've seen it performed 6 times now (once when the original cast did their tour - THE BEST!)and just this month on the 16th right before being admitted... I made them schedule my procedure after. I wanted that full day in NYC (I am from Phila) to just go have a blast, took my Mom, who is one of the reasons I love musicals, and she hadn't seen it yet, no she loves it too.

    I could go on and on, but this is about you not me. Thanks for being our blogger and I look forward to see what you can bring.

    Best,
    Crystina

    ReplyDelete